Sunday, October 28, 2012

Cut out Halloween cookies

Halloween is only a few days away and we have done nothing festive in my house.  September came with slightly cooler weather and I was quickly craving spiced treats.  Pumpkin donuts, chai latte, and apple crisp where just a few goodies that came out of my kitchen.  All of these represent fall to the fullest but they don't represent Halloween.  Last year I ordered Halloween cookie cutters and today I was just in the mood to "cut" cookies.  They require much more time than a drop cookie but they sure are cute!  My little Anna loves to decorate them too.  




Cut out Cookies 

1 1/2 C. Powdered Sugar
1 C. butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tarter

Preheat oven to 375*
Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg, vanilla and almond extract.  In a separate bowl mix flour, soda and cream of tarter.  Slowly beat in flour mixture until combined.  Roll into a ball, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.  
Lightly flour surface.  Divide dough in two parts.  Flour rolling pin and roll dough 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into shapes and place on greased cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  Do not over bake!  Let cookies rest a few minutes before transfering them to a cooling rack.  Cool completely before frosting.  

*This recipe was given to me by a friend.  Thanks Debbie!!


To create less waste I place dough in a covered bowl instead of wrapping in cling wrap




I ALWAYS bake on stoneware.  Everything just turns out better! 



1 comment: